I got a phone call Wednesday night from Baselice and Associates, doing a robopoll about Rebuild (formerly Renew) Houston. They asked the following:
1. If I voted last year, and if I voted for or against Prop 1, which they read in full.
2. They then asked if I would have voted for Prop 1 if I knew that it would authorize collecting up to $125 million a year. Of course, I did know this – it was a prominent part of the Renew Houston campaign.
3. They then asked if I would have voted for Prop 1 if I knew that City Council would determine how to collect the revenue for it. Again, of course, I did know this.
4. They then asked if I would have voted for Prop 1 if I knew that there might be some exemptions made for schools and churches, leaving everyone else to pay for it. I think you know how I feel about that. And for the record, this was known during the campaign when the churches started whining piteously about it.
5. Having done their best to try to make me regret my vote for Prop 1, they asked me if I still would vote for it if it came up today and I knew all this stuff. I’ll give you three guesses how I answered.
I figure this little exercise in freelance political retconning is being paid for by Paul Bettencourt or one of his acolytes. I’ll be interested to see if they get the results they’re clearly hoping for, or if this just goes down the memory hole. Did anyone else get one of these calls? Leave a comment and let me know.