Country music pioneer and superstar Kitty Wells passed away this week. She was the first woman to break through as a solo performer in country music, and the first to have a hit song written from a distinctly female perspective. In doing so, she helped pave the way for future generations of female singers and songwriters, and it’s in her honor that I present this week’s random ten.
1. I Fall To Pieces – Patsy Cline
2. Bridge Over Troubled Waters – Aretha Franklin
3. Cherry Bomb – The Runaways
4. Gloria – Patti Smith
5. Red Letter Year – Ani DiFranco
6. Brave And Crazy – Melissa Etheridge
7. Back On The Chain Gang – The Pretenders
8. God Bless The Child – Billie Holiday
9. Feel So Different – Sinead O’Connor
10. Mothers, Daughters, Wives – Ceili’s Muse
Rest in peace, Kitty Wells.