A massive explosion ripped through a fertilizer plant in the town of West, Texas, Wednesday night, sending scores of injured to area hospitals, sparking fires and triggering evacuations.
– “It was like a nuclear bomb went off,” West Mayor Tommy Muska said.
– Some 10 to 15 buildings have been “totally demolished” and “probably 50 homes (were) heavily damaged,” said George Smith, community emergency medical services director.
– The fertilizer plant was near an apartment complex and a nursing home, authorities said.
– Some people might be trapped in collapsed buildings, Smith said.
– “I expect there’s going to be many fatalities and many more injured people,” he added.
If you live in the area, you can go to the Capitol Area Blood Bank of Central Texas to give blood. You can also make a contribution to the American Red Cross Heart of Texas or the American Red Cross of Central Texas. Visit either of their Facebook pages – Heart of Texas, Central Texas – for up to date information and more ways to help. Here’s a West, TX people search and news page. There’s lots you can do, so please do something to help.